Sunday, February 7, 2010

I Consider Myself Lucky

(I'm writing about an experience I had last Tuesday that I really wanted to share).

Tuesday, 2/2/10. It's 5 in the a.m. I wake up. Shower. Dress. Fix my hair. Brush my teeth. Put my shoes on. Then I leave, headed for Shriners Children's Hospital in Lexington (For those of you who are wondering why I was going there, it was for my scoliosis). Anyway, when I got there, I was expecting a bunch of kids just like me. Who can get up on their own. Eat on their own. Walk on their own. Get ready on their own. What I saw was different. Very different.

I saw autistic kids, who were nothing like me. They couldn't walk on their own, eat on their own, get ready on their own, some who just seemed to lie helplessly in their wheel chairs. This made me think more than ever before. Why can't we all be the same? Well, not the same. But why can't we all be lucky enough to be able to get up by ourself, eat by ourself, walk by ourself, do everything. BY OURSELF. It just doesn't make sense.

Why would God do this to us? Make some of us suffer from grief and pain. It's not fair to the people who suffer, nor is it fair to watch them and know that we have an advantage over them. It was very hard for me to watch. I just wanted to cry, actually.

We went to the new registration booth, put my name down and sat down in about the only available seats. There was a father and his baby right next to me. The little baby boy was sitting in his stroller, leaning back at first. He looked as if he was a normal, healthy child. Then I took a second look. He, too, was autistic. I noticed this after he sat up more. He leaned over to the left, just like some of the other autistic children. He had a lazy eye. He seemed to swing his right arm around in the same direction many times. And he wouldn't stay focused on anything his father gave him. He looked at me with a grin that went from ear to ear and I seriously had a few tears in my eyes. To me, he still looked as perfect as ever. Maybe that's why God doesn't make us all perfect. Maybe he sees everybody's flaws as perfection, even if they're not.

However, I consider myself very lucky.

I'd love for somebody to be able to answer my question, but nobody can but Him. I guess I'll just have to ask him for myself in Heaven ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment